A Plant-based lifestyle is becoming increasingly popular because everyone desires to live a healthy life through what they put in their mouth. This Vegetarian Vegetarian Detox Soup is a perfect Meatless Monday Recipe Idea that you will enjoy.
Why Meatless Monday?
Meatless Monday is a popular trend among persons who want to remove meat from their diet and subscribe to a healthier life. On Mondays, meat is eliminated from their diet for the entire day. No fish, chicken or red meat are allowed.
However, meat alternatives such as tofu or textured vegetable proteins or other meat alternatives can be included with their meals.
In addition, Meatless Monday is now a global campaign across several countries that encourages the consumption of vegan or vegetarian meals on a Monday.
The removal of meat from the diet for 1 day is not only beneficial for your health but is also great for the planet.
Vegan/Vegetarian Meat Alternatives
Beyond Meat, products have gained a lot of popularity among vegans, vegetarians, and even some meat-eaters because their meat alternative products are very tasty, look and feel like meat.
Check out my blog on the Health Benefits of Radishes to learn more about radishes and their many health benefits.
Jamaican Soups are traditionally cooked with meats, root vegetables, pumpkin, dumplings, yams. Soups are great ideas for the cold winter seasons.
However, in Jamaica, Saturdays are usually soup days. As you walk along with each house, the aroma from the different kinds of soups permeates the atmosphere.
What Are The Most popular Jamaican Soups?
Chicken foot Soup
Red Pea Soup with red meats (pigs tail, beef, smoked meat)
Mannish Water (Made with Goat Head)
Jamaican soups differ in flavor, smell, and consistency due to the amount and type of ingredients used. Most of our soups have a very rich and thick consistency.
The Mannish water or what most Jamaicans pronounce as “Manish Wata” has a more broth-like consistency but it is very flavorful with a very distinct smell.
Why Meatless Monday Soup
On Meatless Mondays, most people prepare meals consisting of some type of legume, vegetable, rice, or pasta if they are not using a meat substitute.
This is my first Meatless Monday soup. The soup is vegetable-based with my favorite kidney beans. Corn is the only starchy vegetable in the recipe.
This Meatless Monday meal may be enjoyed at any time of the week. It can naturally detoxify and cleanse the digestive system.
Vegetarian Vegetable Detox Soup: A Meatless Monday Recipe Idea
- Aluminum Pot
- Cutting Board
- 16 oz. Dried Red Kidney Beans
- 3 ears Corn
- 2 cups Fresh Kale, Chopped
- 5 medium Radishes, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 cups Celery, sliced ½ inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. Pimento Seeds
- 2 cups Carrots, roughly cubed
- 1 packet Grace Cock Noodle Soup Mix
- 2 cubes Knoor's Vegetable Boullion.
- 1 tsp. Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 stalks Scallion, roughly chopped
- 3 quarts water
- Wash kidney beans under warm running water. Soak Kidney beans in 3 quarts of water with 2 tsp. salt overnight or for 24 hours at room temperature. This helps to soften the beans and shorten the cooking time.
- Cook beans over a high flame in a covered pot for 1 hour or until they are tender and soft. Remove 1 bean, If it is crushed easily with a fork, then they are fully cooked through.
- Bear in mind that not all kidney beans are created equal. Some may require more cooking time, depending on their maturity. To cut the cooking time, a pressure cooker will cook the beans in less than 60 minutes.
- To the cooked beans, empty the packet of Grace soup mix, Knorr bullion cubes, pimento seeds, and thyme to the beans mixture, Stir very well and let the beans continue cooking for 10 more minutes.
Let's Prepare The Vegetable For Soup
- On a cutting board, carefully use a knife to cut the corn into approximately 2-inch pieces. Cut the scallion, kale, radishes, celery, and carrots into rough-cut pieces. or slices.
- Add cut vegetables to the bean mixture and cook for another 15 minutes over medium heat with the pot covered.
- Remove from flame and serve warm.