Even if you have never eaten liver or think it’s disgusting, I hope my French Fry Stewed Beef Liver recipe will persuade you to give it a shot.
Beef liver is considered organ meat from the cow. While it is not a popular meat, it can be made into a delicious and nutritious meal when cooked properly.
Beef liver, like other organ meats (kidney, chicken gizzards, heart), is a good source of minerals, particularly iron, vitamins, and protein.
If your blood iron level is low or you are Anemic, eating liver as part of a balanced meal may help to improve your blood iron.
If you have a medical condition such as high cholesterol, you should consume organ meats in moderation and consult with your doctor. Medical News Today has more information on the health and nutrition benefits of organ meats.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
French Fry Stewed Beef Liver
Here are all the ingredients you will need .
Below are some amazon ingredient affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Click on each ingredient to learn more.
Your kitchen will need these utensils. Here are the links for your shopping convenience.
French Fry Stewed Beef Liver, Jamaican Style.
- Cast Iron Pan
- Cutting Board
- 1½ lbs Beef Liver
- 2 tbsp Complete Seasoning
- 2 tsp Slap Ya Mama Seasoning
- 1 medium Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- ¾ cup Orange Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Thyme Leaves, dried
- ¾ cup Yellow Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, sliced into rings
- ½ cup Tomato Ketchup or BBQ Sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup Warm Water
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp. Complete Seasoning
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
Boiled Dumpling (optional)
- 1 cup Oats
- 1½ cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Water
Let's Prepare The Liver
- If I had to compare beef liver to something, it would be firm coagulated blood. It is occasionally sold with outer membranes that must be removed. If they are not removed, they will make your liver chewy and rubbery. Wash liver under cold running water.
- The majority of the membrane on the liver slices I purchased had already been removed. However, one of the three slices had an outer membrane ring.Liver may be found with blood vessels that ran throughout the liver. These must be removed. On a cutting board use a knife to carefully lift the membrane enough to hold with your fingers.Pull and remove the membrane. Cut out the blood vessels that you may find run through the liver with a knife as well.
- Cut liver into about 1-2 inch piece strips.
- Season liver strips with Complete Seasoning, Slap Ya Mama, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour and season with smoked paprika, complete seasoning, and salt. Mix everything together with a fork.
French Fry Liver
- Dredge each piece of liver in seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet for 2-3 minutes.
- Place each liver piece gently into the hot oil. Fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy. These liver nuggets can be served as is with dipping sauce on the side of your choice.
- Set aside the French Fry Liver from the hot oil. Add the onion slices, julienne sweet peppers, crushed garlic, and thyme leaves to the same cast iron pan. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become translucent and soften.
- Combine the tomato ketchup and water in a mixing bowl. Pour onto onion mixture and allow to simmer for 2 minutes after stirring. Add the French Fry Liver and mix thoroughly.Allow to simmer for 5 minutes over low to medium heat. Because I ran out of tomato ketchup, I had to improvise and use BBQ sauce.
- Remove stewed liver from flame and set aside.
Let's Make Some Oats Dumplings
- In a pot, bring to boil 8 cups of water with 1 tsp. of salt (optional).
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, old fashion oats, and salt. Use your fingers to mix them together.
- Knead flour mixture until a tight firm ball is formed.
- Jamaican Dumplings are usually made with only flour or flour and cornmeal. However, In this recipe, I use oats for added nutrition value. Dumplings can be made into different shapes as seen below. (disk, ball, and cylindrical)Divide the dough into fairly equal portions. I prefer to form them into round balls. Use the palm of your hands to roll the pieces of dough into a ball.
- Place dumpling balls in a pot of boiling water. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they rise to the surface.