Purple Sweet Potato is naturally gluten-free. Their vibrant purple color is not only appealing, but they are loaded with good nutrition.
This delicious gluten-free and dairy-free recipe features the purple sweet potato. This recipe is inspired by my Jamaican Sweet Potato Recipe. You will love the Guava Bacardi Rum Sauce topping.
Let’s Talk Purple Sweet Potato Nutrition
The deep rich purple color of Stokes Organic Purple Sweet Potatoes is natural and not a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO).
Purple Sweet Potato and Anthocyanins
Moreover, the purple color is said to be attributed to a powerful compound called Anthocyanin that acts as an antioxidant.
In addition, studies have shown that nutrients such as Vitamin C found in many fruits and vegetables also act as an antioxidant.
Anthocyanin not only gives fruits and vegetables their vibrant colors, but also act as a free radical scavenger.
Antioxidants help our body fight free radicals that can be very damaging to the cells in our bodies and potentially promote certain chronic diseases.
The National Institute Of Health gives more detailed insights on other sources of antioxidants and their many health benefits.
Purple Sweet Potato Calories and Glycemic Index
Purple sweet potatoes are slightly less sweet than other sweet potatoes. However, they can be cooked in the same way as their orange cousins.
Approximately 4 oz or 1/2 cup of cooked purple sweet potato provides approximately 140 calories, 27 g carbs, and 4 g fiber. In addition, They also contain several vitamins, minerals, and beta-carotene (a form of vitamin A).
Purple Sweet Potatoes are said to have a low Glycemic Index (GI) and are great for people living with Diabetes. Low GI foods are broken down to glucose at a slower rate and do not rapidly spike one’s blood sugar (Healthline).
Purple Sweet Potato For People Living With Celiac Disease.
This recipe is dedicated to those living with Celiac Disease, Gluten sensitivity, and milk or lactose intolerance.
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley or food products made with these grains.
Moreover, people who live with Celiac Disease cannot eat these grains.
When they eat foods that contain gluten, an immune response is triggered along their digestive tract.
In addition, over time, the lining of their digestive tract becomes so inflamed and damaged.
They experience symptoms such as diarrhea, bloating, GI bleeding, and malabsorption of some nutrients; just to name a few.
I do hope you will enjoy this sweet treat. Give a star rating and leave a comment.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free: Purple Sweet Potato Pudding Recipe.
Here are all the ingredients You Will Need.
Purple Sweet Potato
Canola Oil Spray
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Purple Sweet Potato Pudding.
- 8 Inches Baking Pan
- Fork or Food Masher
- 2 Bowls
- 1.25 lbs Purple Sweet Potato 1 medium: yeilds 2 cups cooked
- 1 cup Organic Coconut Flour
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 medium Eggs
- ½ cup Olive/Canola Oil
- 1 tsp, Almond Essence
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Grated Nutmeg
- 2 cups Water
- 1 can Canola Oil Spray
- Peel and cut the purple sweet potato into medium size pieces.
- In the saucepan, add 2 cups of water onto the sweet potato pieces and boil for 10 minutes or until fairly soft. Drain water into a bowl. Allow potato pieces to cool at room temperature.
- Preheat Oven to 350 °F.
- Transfer cooled purple sweet potato to the bowl and use the knife or food masher to mash the potato pieces.
- To the mashed purple sweet potato, add the olive oil, vanilla extract, almond essence, and salt. Mix well.
- Add brown sugar and mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- After the sugar gets incorporated into the purple potato mixture, add the 2 eggs, and water to the sugar mixture. Use the spoon to mix all ingredients well together.
- In a small bowl mix together the coconut flour, cinnamon powder, and nutmeg. In parts, incorporate the flour mixture into the potato mixture and mix well together.
- Prepare the baking dish by greasing the inside of the baking pan with the canola oil spray. If you do not have oil spray, brush the baking pan with cooking oil.
- Pour the pudding mixture into the baking pan. Gently tap the pan gently on a flat hard surface 2-3 times to even out the mixture. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 40-45 minutes or until an inserted skewer or knife comes out clean.
- Allow pudding to cool at room temperature inside the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and serve.
Gluten-Free Stokes Purple Sweet Potato
Purple Sweet Potato Pudding