Creamy, sweet and filling are just some of the words use to describe this delicious easy Jamaican Cornmeal porridge. This breakfast item is a healthy and tasty way to start your day. Chia seeds and oats are added to this traditional Jamaican hot cereal, not only for texture but also for nutritive value.
What’s For Breakfast In Jamaica?
Growing up, porridge is often on the breakfast menu in our home. If you live in or visited Jamaica, you would observe that our breakfast is very heavy; it’s like eating lunch or diner for breakfast. In addition, porridge is served as a side dish at breakfast.
A sandwich made of 2 thick slices of hard dough bread, a fried egg, ripe plantains, and frankfurter, were often served with one of my favorite porridge. Yes, it sounds like a lot, but it kept us filled until lunchtime. In addition, engaging in some form of physical activities at home or at school.
Types of Jamaican Porridge
There are different types of porridge that exist in Jamaica. Below are a few popular ones:
Here are 2 of my favorite Jamaican Porridge recipes that you can access on this blog. Click on each link to learn more:
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links. When you buy through any of these links, we will receive a commission. This is at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Food Explora and allowing the blog site to continue to bring you valuable content.
If you do not own a Gourmia Air Fryer, here are my links for your shopping convenience. They are easy to use and clean.
Healthy Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge With Oats and Chia Seeds.
Here are all the ingredients you will need.
Below are some amazon ingredient links for your shopping convenience.
Your kitchen will need one of these kitchen cookwares. Click on each for more detailed information and your shopping convenience.
Healthier Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge With Oats and Chia Seeds
- 1 cup Old Fashion Oats, blended
- ¾ cup Fine Cormeal
- 2¼ cups Whole Milk
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp. Nutmeg, grated
- 1 tsp Coconut Essence
- ½ cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 sticks Cinnamon
- 3 Whole Cinnamon or Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- In a blender, on medium speed, blend old fashion oatmeal for 15 seconds.
- In an uncovered deep pot, add milk, water, cinnamon sticks, and bay leaves. Bring to boil over medium heat. Stir and mix frequently to avoid milk boiling over the side of the pot.
There are 2 methods for cooking the Cornmeal/Oats
- Method 1Slowly, in small portions, add the powdered oats and cornmeal to the milk mixture while constantly stirring with a whisk to avoid clumping.Method 2In a bowl, you may mix together the cornmeal, oats, milk, and water until smooth. Add to a deep pot and cook over medium flame.
- Allow cooking for 7-10 minutes in a covered pot. You may add more warm water or milk as needed if porridge gets too thick.
- Lower flame to low. Pour the condensed milk, coconut essence, vanilla extract, and chia seeds into the porridge mixture. Use a whisk to stir and mix with a whisk.
- Turn off flame and serve in a bowl.
Healthy Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge with Chia Seeds and Oats.
Healthier Cornmeal Porridge with Oats and Chia Seeds.
Deddy's Kitchen is one of my favorite Jamaican Youtubers. Here are their take on traditional cornmeal porridge.
I would love to know what you think. Please leave a comment and star rating. What is your favorite hot cereal?
© 2022 All Rights Reserved.