Brown rice and parboiled rice are not the same. As a result, they are not cooked in the same manner. Many people find it difficult to make fluffy brown rice. If not done correctly, rice can become tough, mushy, or soupy.
This recipe will show you how to make the best brown rice. Furthermore, it is infused with coconut and Caribbean flavors that I think you will love and appreciate. You do not need a fancy rice cooker.
Brown rice is significantly more nutrient dense than white rice. It is higher in vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
You can read about the differences between the two types of rice in my Seasoned Rice Pilaf With Ackee Recipe. The nutrition content of brown and white rice is described in greater detail by Healthline.
If you like eating rice, then you will enjoy these two recipes: One-Pot Shrimp and Basmati Rice and Jamaican Jerk Shrimp and Ackee Fried Rice.
Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links. When you buy through any of these links, we will receive a commission. This is at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Food Explora and allowing the blog site to continue to bring you valuable content.
If you do not own a Gourmia Air Fryer, here are my links for your shopping convenience.
How To Cook The Perfect Brown Rice.
Here are all the ingredients you will need.
Below are some amazon ingredient links for your shopping convenience.
Your kitchen will need one of these kitchen cookwares and utensil. Click on each for more detailed information and your shopping convenience.
How To Cook The Perfect Coconut Brown Rice.
- Sauce Pan
- Cutting Board
- 2 cups Brown Rice
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp. Pimento Seeds
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 stalk Scallion, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp. Thyme Leaves (dried or fresh)
- Brown rice is the ideal side dish for any occasion. It has a bad reputation due to its unusual flavor and texture, but it is more nutrient dense than white rice. Follow these simple steps below for soft and delicious brown rice the old fashion way.
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, vegetable stock, pimento, thyme, scallions, and salt. Over medium heat, bring to a boil. These herbs are frequently used in Jamaican cuisine to enhance the flavor profile of our dishes. You'll notice that I use them in a number of my recipes on my blog.
- Add the 2 cups of brown rice once the coconut milk mixture has reached a boil. Stir and cook in a covered pot over medium heat. The steam will aid in the cooking of the rice, resulting in a soft, fluffy texture.
- Reduce the flame to low and continue cooking with a covered lid once most of the liquid has evaporated. The cooking time takes between 30 to 40 minutes for the brown rice to completely cook.
- Fluff the rice with a spoon after all of the water has evaporated. The sweet aroma of the rice will entice you to indulge in a few spoonfuls.When the rice has become soft and fluffy. Take the pan off the heat. This recipe served about 2-3 people.
Food Explora Cooking Tip:
- If you observe or taste that some of the rice grains need to cook a little longer, pour about ¼ to ½ cup of water over the rice and continue cooking in the covered pot over low flame.
35 thoughts on “How To Cook The Perfect Brown Rice With Coconut Flavors.”
I prefer brown rice for the texture and nutrients. I’ve never thought ot jazz ingredients it up with coconut milk and pimento. Thanks for tbe idea.
Kimberly, next time you cook brown rice, try adding herbs and coconut milk. You know we Jamaicans love good ole coconut milk in our rice. LOl Thanks for your comment and rating.
Brown rice all the way! So much better for you!
Agree with you Jenna. Thank You for your comment and rating. Appreciate!
Sounds so yummy…I definitely prefer brown rice and I LOVE coconut!!
Thank you Kim for your comment. Brown Rice and Coconut = tropical flavor.
I do prefer brown rice for any dish because of the need for more fibre but in general I love both!
I’ve tried to like brown rice but gimme my white any day!
I understand. Some dishes like your Haitian Black Rice, which I love, may not be a good pair. LOL
I love me some brown rice!
Thanks for your comment and star rating, Alex. appreciate your time.
Ooo, this sounds delicious! I love brown rice, so tasty. Never tried it with added ingredients such as coconut milk, saving this recipe to try. Thank you for sharing!
The coconut milk and herbs add another layer of flavor. Hope you get to try it soon.
This is interesting. It looks so yummy and would love to try this brown rice. Because I never tried it with coconut flavors. Thank you for sharing it!
Fransic Verso, Hope you do try it. Over time, you will develop an acquired taste for brown rice.
I made a recipe similar to this earlier this week, so delicious! I prefer the heartiness of brown rice 🙂
Me too, Katie. I surprisingly love the earthy texture and flavor.
My favorite is basamati white rice brown rice is healthier but just don’t like how it doesn’t last as long
Thanks is a good point. because brown rice is in its natural form, it can go bad faster than its white counterpart. I always store mine in the refrigerator for longer shelf life. Thanks for your comment.
I love the brown rice recipe.
Thank you for your comment and star rating, Lois.
This sounds absolutely delicious! I love that you used brown rice for this recipe!
This looks delicious. I definitely think brown goes well for this one.
The Curious Dig, Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.
I love brown rice! Always had my coconut with white rice, but after trying the brown version its so much better!
Thanks for your comment and rating. Brown rice is way healthier depicted the fact that white rice is enriched or fortified with nutrients by the manufacturers.
I love coconut and this sounds really delicious I’m going to pin for later 🙂 I enjoy jasmine rice.
Love Jasmin rice also Tara. Thanks for your comment and rating.
I really like your recipe and I’ve added it to my collection. I also like how you made it easy for us to shop for ingredients. Brown rice is the ways to go. Healthy and packed with all the goodness our body needs. Thank you so much for this. Beautifully done 👌🏽
Thank you Bertha. Appreciate the comment.
I pretty much stick to (small amounts) of brown rice because it is way better for my overall health; I love the idea of trying out different flavours especially if they enhance it. Thanks!
I’m yet to master rice so after reading this, I’m defiantly going to be cooking this recipe and hopefully I’ll finally master it haha! It sounds absolutely delicious and I can’t wait to tuck in. I love that it’s brown rice as it’s much better for my diabetes! Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Great recipe Xo
Elle – ellegracedeveson.com
Thank you Elle.
This sounds absolutely delicious! I absolutely love anything and everything coconut but never imagined putting it in rice! I will have to try this for sure. My husband will be so excited for this recipe too. Makes me want to go out and get a recipe planner – start collecting recipes!
Thank you, Marie. The recipes on my blog are free. So feel free to explore and try them.