Hominy Corn Porridge is one of Jamaica’s most popular breakfast hot cereal. It is sweet, creamy and chewy. The recipe is simple and easy to follow. Moreover, this is my favorite hot cereal and i enjoy it anytime of the day.
What is hominy corn?
Hominy corn is made from a process called nixtamalization. In addition, Hominy is sometimes called nixtamal. This process involves soaking the corn kernels in a solution of lye to help separate the germ and hull portion. The germ and hull are then mechanically removed and the remaining pellets are what is called hominy corn.
Hominy can be purchased dried or canned. They also come in different shades of yellow. In addition, When dried hominy is grounded, you get grits. Grits is a southern staple and can be found in different texture grinds. Grounded hominy is also used in Mexican cuisines to make items such as tortillas or tamales and other dishes.
Here are all the ingredients and instructions.
Hominy Corn Porridge
Here are the ingredients you will need:
16 oz. bag.
Golden Hominy Corn
Sweetened Condensed Milk
Light Brown Sugar
How To Make Hominy Corn Porridge.
Here Are The Steps
(1) In a large pot, add hominy corn and approximately 1-quart water.
(2) Bring to boil and allow to cook for 1 hour or until they are soft enough to be easily crushed with a spoon.
(3)Add coconut milk, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, salt, and sugar.
(4) Stir and allow to further cook for another 10 minutes.
(5) In a small bowl, add flour. Add about 1 cup of water to make a smooth flour mixture.
(6) Add flour mixture to corn mixture while string to avoid forming lumps;
(7) Cook for 10 minutes and stir frequently until the porridge thickens.
(8) Lower the flame and sweeten porridge with condensed milk. Stir until evenly distributed.
(9) Turn off flame. Add nutmeg, vanilla essence, and almond extract.
(10) Stir the mixture and allow it to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
**Hominy corn can be left to soak in room temperature water for 24 hrs to help soften the kernels.
**To speed up the cooking time, hominy corn can be cooked in a pressure cooker.
** Additional water can be added as needed if the liquid gets evaporated too much before the kernels are completely cooked.
The golden rich sweet flavor of hominy corn porridge is not only ideal for breakfast but can be eaten anytime, especially when you need to satisfy your sweet tooth.
The use of bay leaves (cinnamon, leaves), cinnamon sticks, and nutmeg add a lot of flavor to any hot cereal. There include:
cornmeal porridge, oats, banana, or plantain porridge, you name it.
Hominy Porridge can be stored in closed containers in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 weeks.
It can be reheat in microwaved. But, I prefer to reheat into a hot water bath while on a flame.