Ketogenic Diet or Keto Diet for short, has become a very popular weight-loss trend. The Keto diet is high in protein, high in fat, and very low in carbohydrates. The composition of this diet can lead to weight loss and other health benefits.
Why The Keto Diet?
THE KETOGENIC DIET is used to help treat people living with epilepsy; it is known to decrease the number of seizures experienced by persons diagnosed with epilepsy.
The bodies of those who follow a ketogenic diet are forced to burn protein and fat for energy. Moreover, fats and protein keep you feeling full for longer. Therefore you will not feel the need to eat as often and potentially lose or maintain weight.
The Keto Diet vs. Atkins Diet
The Keto diet is similar to THE ATKINS DIET that follows a very low carbohydrate plan. However, one of the main differences between the two diets is that at least 75-80% of the Keto diet comes from fat, whereas the Atkins Diet focuses mainly on protein consumption.
Harvard Health Publishing wrote more detailed information and the potential health risks of the Keto Diet in one of their articles entitled “Should You Try The Keto Diet?”
South Beach vs. Keto Diet
THE SOUTH BEACH DIET, which I am more familiar with and knowledgeable about, was developed by a Heart Surgeon in South Beach Miami. In comparison, this diet promotes heart health by including a balanced mix between proteins, good fats, and wholesome carbohydrates.
In addition, the first 2-3 weeks, the diet calls for you to eliminate carbohydrates, including fruits from your diet. Within the 3rd week, you start to introduce healthier carbs such as whole grains (brown rice, quinoa).
Fad diets such as the Keto or Atkins Diet will work for most people and can be a long term fix for losing weight and/or maintaining weight. However, from a Nutritionist point of view, living a healthylifesyle includes daily sweats of physical activities and moderate consumption of foods.
Remember my motto: “no food is unhealthy until you overeat.” Moreover, there are no magic diets or supplements that will make you live a healthy life. Always consult with your Health Care Providers before attempting any diet or exercise regime.
The Delicious Keto-Friendly Spicy Italian Sausage Broccoli Quiche.
Below is a protein-rich low carb recipe that can be included as part of the Keto Diet as well as the Atkins and the South Beach diet. It is flavorful and very easy to prepare. The recipe can be prepared the night before and reheated for a tasty breakfast meal, snack, or brunch.
Remember to star rate recipe and/or blog, share with your friends and family or share on your social media platforms.
Keto Diet Friendly: Spicy Italian Sausage and Broccoli Quiche Recipe.
Keto Friendly Diet: Delicious Spicy Italian Sausage And Broccoli Quiche.
- Cast Iron Pan
- 12 inches Pie Dish
- 1 Metal Bowl
- Cutting Board
- 6 Eggs
- 2 2 cups Broccoli Florets, chopped
- 3 links Hot Italian Sausage
- 2 tbsp. Parmesean Cheese
- 1 cup Four-Cheese Blend
- ½ cup Onion, Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Badia All-purpose Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- Canola Oil Spray
- Remove outer membrane or casing of the italian sausage.
- Cut the 3 sausage links into small pieces.
- Add sausage pieces to the cast iron pan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until brown and most of the fat is rendered from the sausage pieces.
- In the metal bowl, break the 6 eggs.
- To the eggs, add Badia all-purpose seasoning, salt, black pepper. Whisk all ingredients together until evenly mixed.
- Add minced garlic and diced onion to the eggs mixture.
- Remove the cooked sausage pieces from the pan and add them directly to the egg mixture. At this time add the chopped broccoli florets, 1/2 cup of the tri-cheese, and mix very well.
- Spray pie dish with canola oil spray. If you do not have an oil spray, you can brush with your oil of choice. Empty egg and sausage mixture onto the pie dish.
- Layer the top of the quiche mixture with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and the parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 °F.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before you cut and serve.