Do not throw away your overripe kiwifruit! Here’s a great way to use up your kiwi before they go bad sitting on your counter. Kiwifruit is not a well-known or popular fruit. Even if you don’t like eating Kiwi, these delicious spiced Kiwi Apple Cake Squares with a Rum Glaze will win you over.
You are also going to love my Guava Kiwi Coconut Rum Punch Click on the picture or link for the recipe. Enjoy!
Before you scroll down to the recipe, follow me on My Instagram.
JamaicanISHfoodie is a food and travel explora that will take you on a cultural journey. He exhibits everything related to food, culture, and travel.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links. When you buy through any of these links, we will receive a commission. This is at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Food Explora and allowing the blog site to continue to bring you valuable content.
If you do not own a Gourmia Air Fryer, here are my links for your shopping convenience. They are easy to use and clean.
Kiwi Apple Cake Squares
Topped With Rum Glaze.
You may also find these grocery lists interesting.
Your kitchen will need one of these kitchen cookwares. Click on each for more detailed information and your shopping convenience.
Kiwi Apple Cake Squares Topped With Rum Glaze.
- Mixing Bowls
- Whisk/Hand Mixer
- 12 x 9 Pyrex Baking Container
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg, grated
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- 1 4 oz Stick Unsalted Butter
- 6 medium Kiwi Fruit, extra ripe
- 4 oz. Apple Sauce
- 3 medium eggs
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1½ tsp. Coconut Extract
- ¼ cup Icening Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Bacardi Coconut Rum
Sift Dry Ingredients
- In a mixing bowl, sieve flour, salt, cinnamon powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 °F.
Let's prepare Wet Ingredients
- I use extra ripe Kiwis in this recipe because they are sweeter and less tart. The majority of supermarket kiwis are firm and sour.To increase their sugar content, allow them to ripen at room temperature for a week. Wash, peel, and blend kiwis in a blender until smooth. Mix the apple sauce with the pureed Kiwi. *If you want kiwi pieces throughout the cake, mash them in a bowl with a fork.
- Using a hand mixer on medium speed, cream together the sugar and butter. Because I misplaced the beaters on my electric mixer, I creamed the mixture by hand with a whisk.
- Add the eggs to the creamed butter and sugar and mix well. Pour in the vanilla and coconut extracts, as well as the water, and thoroughly combine.
The Kiwi Cake Batter
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in batches, mixing with a hand mixer or whisk until smooth.Mix in 2 tablespoons of chia seeds until evenly distributed throughout the kiwi batter.
- Grease a pyrex baking dish with 2 tbsp unsalted butter or nonstick spray. Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray. To level the batter in the baking dish, gently tap the container containing the Kiwi cake batter on a hard flat surface.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cooling for 15 minutes in the baking container after removing it from the oven. Turn the cake container upside down onto a cutting board or cooling rack. Allow it to continue to cool for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares.
- The cake yields 20 squares and serves 18-29 people. Store in the fridge for up to a week. Warm the kiwi cake squares in the toaster oven for 1 minute or in the microwave for 10 - 12 seconds.
Let's make The Glaze Toppings (optional)
- This step is optional, but it gives the cake squares a decorative flair. Set aside 2 peeled Kiwis, sliced into 2-3 mm thickness.
- In a small bowl, add ¼ cup of icing sugar. To this add 2 tablespoons of Rum. Because it's one of my favorites, I used Bacardi Coconut Rum. You can substitute the rum with water. Top each square with a kiwi slice and drizzle with the rum glaze before serving on a platter.
I would love to know what you think. Please leave a comment and star rating.
© 2022 All Rights Reserved.