Do not throw away your overripe kiwifruit! Here’s a great way to use up your kiwi before they go bad sitting on your counter. Kiwifruit is not a well-known or popular fruit. Even if you don’t like eating Kiwi, these delicious spiced Kiwi Apple Cake Squares with a Rum Glaze will win you over.
It is a simple and enjoyable way to incorporate Kiwi into a sweet treat for any occasion. Please share your thoughts in the comments section.
You are also going to love my Guava Kiwi Coconut Rum Punch Click on the picture or link for the recipe. Enjoy!
Before you scroll down to the recipe, follow me on My Instagram.
JamaicanISHfoodie is a food and travel explora that will take you on a cultural journey. He exhibits everything related to food, culture, and travel.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links. When you buy through any of these links, we will receive a commission. This is at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Food Explora and allowing the blog site to continue to bring you valuable content.
If you do not own a Gourmia Air Fryer, here are my links for your shopping convenience. They are easy to use and clean.
Kiwi Apple Cake Squares
Topped With Rum Glaze.
Here are all the ingredients you will need.
Below are some amazon ingredient links for your shopping convenience.
You may also find these grocery lists interesting.
Your kitchen will need one of these kitchen cookwares. Click on each for more detailed information and your shopping convenience.
Kiwi Apple Cake Squares Topped With Rum Glaze.
- Mixing Bowls
- Whisk/Hand Mixer
- 12 x 9 Pyrex Baking Container
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg, grated
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- 1 4 oz Stick Unsalted Butter
- 6 medium Kiwi Fruit, extra ripe
- 4 oz. Apple Sauce
- 3 medium eggs
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1½ tsp. Coconut Extract
- ¼ cup Icening Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Bacardi Coconut Rum
Sift Dry Ingredients
- In a mixing bowl, sieve flour, salt, cinnamon powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 °F.
Let's prepare Wet Ingredients
- I use extra ripe Kiwis in this recipe because they are sweeter and less tart. The majority of supermarket kiwis are firm and sour.To increase their sugar content, allow them to ripen at room temperature for a week. Wash, peel, and blend kiwis in a blender until smooth. Mix the apple sauce with the pureed Kiwi. *If you want kiwi pieces throughout the cake, mash them in a bowl with a fork.
- Using a hand mixer on medium speed, cream together the sugar and butter. Because I misplaced the beaters on my electric mixer, I creamed the mixture by hand with a whisk.
- Add the eggs to the creamed butter and sugar and mix well. Pour in the vanilla and coconut extracts, as well as the water, and thoroughly combine.
The Kiwi Cake Batter
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in batches, mixing with a hand mixer or whisk until smooth.Mix in 2 tablespoons of chia seeds until evenly distributed throughout the kiwi batter.
- Grease a pyrex baking dish with 2 tbsp unsalted butter or nonstick spray. Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray. To level the batter in the baking dish, gently tap the container containing the Kiwi cake batter on a hard flat surface.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cooling for 15 minutes in the baking container after removing it from the oven. Turn the cake container upside down onto a cutting board or cooling rack. Allow it to continue to cool for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares.
- The cake yields 20 squares and serves 18-29 people. Store in the fridge for up to a week. Warm the kiwi cake squares in the toaster oven for 1 minute or in the microwave for 10 - 12 seconds.
Let's make The Glaze Toppings (optional)
- This step is optional, but it gives the cake squares a decorative flair. Set aside 2 peeled Kiwis, sliced into 2-3 mm thickness.
- In a small bowl, add ¼ cup of icing sugar. To this add 2 tablespoons of Rum. Because it's one of my favorites, I used Bacardi Coconut Rum. You can substitute the rum with water. Top each square with a kiwi slice and drizzle with the rum glaze before serving on a platter.
I would love to know what you think. Please leave a comment and star rating.
© 2022 All Rights Reserved.
49 thoughts on “Kiwi Apple Cake Squares With Rum Glaze.”
This recipe has got me thinking about what this would taste like, because it sounds really good, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried something like it. I don’t think I’ve ever tried kiwi either. I’m certainly interested in trying it out. Thank you for the recipe
You are welcome.
I have never tried anything like this, however a couple of weeks ago I went to a wedding and it was a rum cake and it was lovely! I love apple so I would definitely give these a try! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Thank you, Lauren. I appreciate your comment and star rating.
We love kiwi and apples, but I never thought of pairing them together. But it makes sense. I can’t wait to try this recipe.
Emily, hope you enjoy this Kiwi dessert as I did.
Never thought of using kiwi in baking. This will definitely go on our “we’ve gotta try this” list!! Thanks for the amazing recipes, Kevin!
Thank you, enjoy!
Omg I LOVE the sound of this cake, especially the rum glaze! Wowee. I’ll defiantly have to buy these ingredients and get baking this asap. Such a perfect summer days recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with us! Xo
Elle – ellegracedeveson.com
I love Kiwi but for some reason never thought about putting in a dessert thank you for the impression
This looks lovely Kevin!
Thank you Marga.
can you send me some
They were done in a minute, Jimmy. You will enjoy making these easy Kiwi Cake Squares.
I can’t imagine what this would taste like, but I like how unique of an idea it is. You had me interested in apples and rum. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
I am glad you were inspired crystal. Hope you get to make it soon.
This looks rich and absolutely delicious. I am a big fan of kiwis as it is.
Thank you Ryan.
These look delicious!
Thank you, Wayne. These Kiwi squares were delicious.
Oh man. This looks incredible. I will have to make this. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Thank you Charity. Hope you enjoy your Kiwi cake the as much as I did.
Thank you Charity, you will love and enjoy this kiwi cake as much as I did.
I love kiwi! I’ve never seen it included in a cake recipe though!
Corinne, Kiwi is a fairly unusual use of fruit as an ingredient in a cake, but it was delicious. Hope you get to make it soon.
These look so yummy and pretty easy to make. I love the detailed instructions. Something for me to try when I next have a baking session!
Enjoy making it MummyConqueringAnxiety. Thanks for dropping by.
Wow! I’ve never tried anything like this, but it looks delicious. I LOVE kiwi!
These sound really tasty. I’ve never thought to put kiwi in a cake before. I’m definitely going to have to try and make some of this.
Thanks, Kelly. You will not be disappointed.
This is such a lovely recipe; I’ve never really seen anything baked used kiwi before — the combination of flavours sound amazing!
Thank you, Molloy.
That looks straight out of a fancy shop. Love it and can’t wait to try.
Lol. Thank you Vaishali.
I love trying new baking. This looks good.
Thank you, Eva.
I want some of these
Kiwi is so delicious, but I have never thought of baking with it! These look so tasty and unique. I’m sure my family would love them! Thanks for sharing!
I absolutely love kiwi and apple together! And in cake form?! Sign me up! Thank you for this delicious recipe!
I like kiwi and apple but I never tried anything like this before 😀 Sounds really great combo! Thanks for sharing your recipe x
Thank you Merry I appreciate your comment and rating
I have to admit I am not the biggest fan of kiwi. But, having said this, I cannot wait to give this a shot because it looks lush (and it’s hard to resist a cake that looks this good, let alone the fact that it has rum in it!). Thank you for sharing such a beautiful recipe again Kevin x
Thanks for your comment and rating. Hope you get to make the kiwi cake. You will love it.
I am not a fan of kiwi however this recipe looks amazing and I know it’s gonna taste great. Definitely trying it. Thanks for sharing
Thank you Lakisha. I appreciate the comment. hope you get to make it someday. You are going to love it.
I love apple desserts, but I never thought of combining apple and kiwi. The cake squares look so good, especially with the rum glaze and sliced kiwi on top.
Karalee, it was very good; can’t wait for you to try my Kiwi Apple Cake.
Never heard of this mix in baking but it actually sounds amazing! It sounds simple enough to do too – love it!
Thank you, Katherine.