Everyone enjoys a good home-cooked meal that is uniquely simple but flavorful. This one-pot sweet and sour shrimp with cassava meal is everything mentioned above and more.
The vibrant rich sweet and sour sauce over the shrimp, when combined with the waxy starchy cassava root vegetable, creates the perfect dinner marriage with amazing textures and flavors.
Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links. When you buy through any of these links, we will receive a commission. This is at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Food Explora and allowing the blog site to continue to bring you valuable content.
If you do not own a Gourmia Air Fryer, here are my links for your shopping convenience.
One-pot Sweet and Sour Shrimp With Cassava Cook-up.
Your kitchen will need one of these kitchen cookwares and utensil. Click on each for more detailed information and your shopping convenience.
One-Pot Sweet & Sour Shrimp With Cassava
One-Pot Sweet and Sour Shrimp With Cassava Cook-Up.
- Large Aluminum Pot
- Deep Pot
- Mixing Bowls
- Wooden Spoons
- Cutting Board
- Strainer or Colander
- Garlic Press
- 1 lb Shrimp, deveined ez peel
- 3 tbsp. Slap Yuh Mamma Seasoning
- 2 tsp. Complete Seasoning
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Salt
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 large Sweet Peppers (red and green)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 medium Onion, cubed
- ¾ cup White Cane Vinegar
- 1 cup Warm Water
- ¼ cup Honey
- ½ cup Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tsp. Thyme, dried
- 2 tsp. Cilantro, dried
- 3½ lbs Cassava Root Vegetable
Season The Shrimp
- Add the shrimp to a mixing bowl and rinse under cold running water. Remove the shrimp from the water. Season with Slap Yuh Mama seasoning, complete seasoning, black pepper, and salt. Set aside in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Let's Prepare The Cassava
- While the shrimp is marinating in the refrigerator, bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Peel the cassava and cut them into approximately 2 x 4-inch pieces. Add the cassava pieces to the boiling water with care. A pinch of salt may be added for flavor, but it is not required.
- Cook cassava for about 20 minutes, or until tender and a knife easily inserts.
Time To Cook The Shrimp
- Cut the onion into cubes and the sweet peppers into ½ inch strips on a cutting board. Crush the garlic cloves with a garlic press.
- Heat the olive oil in an aluminum pot. Add the seasoned shrimp to the hot oil. Cook for about 1 minute on each side.
- Remove the shrimp from the aluminum pot and place them in a bowl.
- In the same pot, combine crushed garlic and thyme leaves with the remaining oil. Place the sweet pepper pieces in the same pot with caution. Cook for 2 minutes after thoroughly mixing with a spoon.
- Add the vinegar, water, tomato ketchup, sweet and sour stir fry sauce, dried cilantro, and honey to the sweet pepper mixture. Allow simmering for about 2 minutes after thoroughly stirring.
- Empty the bowl of shrimp into the pot and allow the shrimp to continue cooking in the sweet and sour sauce mixture.
- Drain the water from the cassava using a strainer or colander.
- Combine cooked casava with the sweet and sour shrimp. Gently stir and combine all of the ingredients. Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium heat, covered. This allows the cassava to absorb some of the sauce's delicious flavors.
- Remove one-pot shrimp meal from flame and serve warm. This serves about 6-8 people.
You will also love this Jerk Chicken Mac and cheese recipe. Click HERE for the recipe.
Join Food Explora on Instagram. My handle name is JamaicanISH Foodie. I showcase food and travel-related posts. Let’s be Instafrenz!
Below are two of my food posts featuring CASSAVA.