Salmon is one of the healthiest fish you can add to your weekly meal plan. The fish is loaded with good nutrition: protein, Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. Healthline provides a more detailed presentation on 11 health benefits of salmon fish.
Farm-Raised vs Wild Caught Salmon Fish
Salmon fish can be purchased as wild caught or Farm-raised. Farm raised Salmon are far cheaper than wild caught. But are there any significant differences?
1. Farm-raised are grown on a farm in fish pens and are more restrictive. These are found mostly in grocery stores and served at most restaurants.
2. are fed artificial feeds that are made from highly processed ingredients such: large amounts of fats and corn and grounded fishes.
3. they are thicker and have a higher visible marbling of fat throughout the flesh of the fish.
4. the flesh is lighter in color: pinkish-orange. however, many farmers add dyes to their feeds to make their flesh resemble those of the wild caught salmon.
5. In addition, the nutrition content is less than their wild caught counterpart.
Wild Caught Salmon:
1. caught in their natural environments such as lakes, rivers, and oceans. They are free to swim more wildly; found mostly at your local fish markets.
2. have a more natural diet: smaller fishes and krill.
3. are thinner, leaner, and less fatty because they swim upstream and are a lot more active.
4. the flesh is darker in color: deeper reddish-orange.
5. Since their diet are more diverse in nature, their nutrition content is higher in minerals such as iron, iodine; has more vitamins, and essential omega-3 fatty acids.
The bottom line is that wild caught salmon are considered cleaner, safer, and of a higher quality than farm raised salmons, making them more expensive.
Farm-raised Salmon Are Not All Bad
However, this does not mean that you should rule out farm-raised fish. Not all farm-raised salmon is bad. Moreover, more than 50 % of the world’s seafood market is farm-raised.
Research Salmon Fish Companies
It’s important to always ask your fish market where or whom they obtain their salmon and then go and research the company. They will provide you will how they raise their fish, the feed they used and who regulates their farming practices to make sure they are in compliance with food safety procedures.
In this blog, I used farm-raised salmon because they are cheaper and I think they still provide a good source of good nutrition.
You can also try my Escovitch spicy Pickled Vegetables that goes very well with salmon or any other fish dish.
Parmesan Crusted Salmon with Orange Coffe Maple Sauce
Parmesan Crusted Salmon Fish with Orange Coffee Maple Sauce
- Cast Iron Skillet or Baking Tray
- Metal Spatula
- 2 Small Bowls
- Sauce Pan
- 2 lbs. Salmon Fillet with skin
- 2 tsp Black Pepper freshly grounded
- 3 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
Orange Coffee Maple Sauce
- 1 Large Navel Orange Zest Orange for 1/2 tsp.
- 1/2 cup Maple BBQ Sauce
- 1 Medium Lemon Zest Lemon for 1/2 tsp.
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Brewed Coffee
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tbsp Complete Seasoning
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- To Parmesan cheese, add complete seasoning and mix well together.
Prepare Salmon Fillets
- In a bowl, add a few drops of vinegar to 2 cups of tap water. Soak salmon in vinegar water for 10 minutes to help get rid of the fishy smell. Remove from liquid.
- In a small bowl, add salt, pepper, and onion powder. Season salmon pieces on all sides with seasoning mixture. Allow seasoned salmon to sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove salmon from refridgerator. Turn on the oven and set to 350 °F.
- Spray cast iron skillet or baking tray with canola oil or lightly brush with olive oil.
- Lay pieces of the seasoned salmon, skin down, onto the skilllet pan or baking tray.
- Brush olive oil onto Salmon pieces .
- Generously add Parmesan cheese mixture onto top of salmon pieces.
- Bake in oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
Orange Coffee Maple Sauce
- Zest lemon and orange to obtain 1/2 tsp zest from each citrus fruit.
- After removing zest, juice the lemon and orange.
- Brew your favorite coffee and measure 1 cup coffee.
- In the sauce pan, add brewed coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice, lemon zest, orange zest Maple BBQ Sauce and maple syrup.
- Over medium heat, cook until sauce is reduces to a rich consistency.
- Pour sauce into a serving bowl.
Parmesan crusted Salmon Fish.
The tenderness of the salmon with the crusted texture of parmesan gives a balance of texture and flavor to the dish.
Orange Coffee Maple Sauce.
This is a sauce like no other. The sweetness of the maple, and the fresh hint of the citrus zest, tones down the bitter note of the coffee to create this beautiful marriage of ingredients that gives birth to this unique and delicious sauce.
This orange coffee maple sauce can be paired with chicken, seafood, beef, lamb, or pork.