Chicken Saag is a delicious Indian stew that is made with Chicken and green leafy vegetables stewed into a thick mash of finger-licking goodness.
I was happy to be apart of the “recipes swap challenge UK” on Instagram. I was paired with Hangry Patels. She cooked her version of my Shrimp Curry in Creamy Coconut Spinach. She did a great job. Check out her Instagram page for this and other delicious Indian dishes/products.
On the other hand, I attempted to prepare Hangry Patels’s Chicken Saag. Some of the ingredients for her recipe were nowhere to found in any local supermarket in NYC, so they were either left out or replaced.
However, I am very happy with the outcome of the flavor and texture of the dish. I am glad to share with you my version of this Chicken Saag. This dish reminds me of the Haitian dish called legume. They are similar in texture and presentation. Check out my review of Haitian dishes in my blog : Explore Haitian Dishes: Djon Djon, Black Rice, Legume..
In addition, Chicken Saag stew is most often served with Basmati Rice or Naan Tandori Bread, but i have decided to infuse Jamaican with Indian Cuisines by serving a healthier version of Jamaican flour dumplings.
Chicken Saag with Oatmeal Dumplings
Revised Version Of Chicken Saag Served With Oatmeal Dumplings.
- 1 Medium to Large Sauce Pan
- 1 Deep Saucepan
- Cutting Board
- 2 Bowls
- 1.5 lbs. Chicken Thighs
- 16 oz Baby Spinach, chopped
- 2 medium Vine Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large Yellow Onion, cubed
- 3 cloves Fresh Garlic
- 2 tbsp. All-Purpose Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- 3 tsp. Roasted Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Canola Oil season with chicken thighs
- 1 small Piece of Fresh Ginger Approx. ¼ cup
- 2 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- ⅓ cup Canola Oil for cooking chicken saag
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1.5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Old Fashion Rolled Oats
- ½ cup Coconut Flour
- 1 cup Water, room temperature
- 1 tsp. Salt
Let's Cook Chicken Saag
- Trim excess fat from the chicken things. Cut into medium size cubes and add to the bowl.
- Season chicken thighs with all-purpose seasoning, paprika, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, canola oil, salt, and black pepper. Allow chicken mixture to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hrs.
- Remove seasoned chicken from the refrigerator and allow to reach room temperature for 20 minutes,
- Use the blender to blend the onion, tomato, garlic, ginger with 1 cup of water.
- In the saucepan, heat canola oil for 1-2 minutes. Add cumin and cook for 1-2 minutes or until brown over medium heat.
- Add blended tomato mixture to the cumin and oil. Stir and allow to cook for about 6 minutes.
- After about 3 minutes of cooking, add red pepper flakes, salt, 1 tsp. tumeric powder and allow to cook for the remaining 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add chopped spinach to the tomato mixture and allw to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the seasoned chicken thighs to the spinach mixture. Stir and cover the saucepan with the lid and allow to cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Don't forget to stir occasionally to prevent sticking and burning the stew. Hangrypatel's recipe calls for her Garam Masala at this point. I did not have this ingredient so I added 1 tsp of dried thyme for added flavor.
- After the chicken has been cooked and the stew has become thickened, turn off the flame and serve with these delicious dumplings.
Let's Make Some Oatmeal Dumplings.
- In a deep saucepan, put 6 cups of water to boil. Season with salt.
- Mix together the all-purpose flour, coconut flour, oatmeal, salt together in a bowl.
- Add the room temperature water to the flour mixture and combine to form a dough using your fingers. Knead the dough mixture until all the ingredients are combined. The dough should firm and tight.
- The size and shape of the dumplings do not have to be perfect. Using the palm of your hands, roll a piece of the dough to form about a 2-inch ball.
- Flatten the ball into a disc-like shape.
- Add dumplings to salted boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. DO NOT cover the saucepan with a lid. This will prevent the liquid from boiling over onto the stove. After 10 minutes, remove from the flame and serve with the chicken saag.