Tilapia fish has always been at the center of controversy for the potential dangers of eating tilapia. However, Tilapia is in the top 5 most commonly consumed fish in the United States.
Tilapias are inexpensive, a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. Yet, many people still think they are bad for your health.
Most Tilapia fishes are farm-raised. As with most farm-raised fishes, certain farming practices such as what fishes are fed and how they are grown on a fish farm can lead to contamination with toxic chemicals.
Mercury and Tilapia Fish
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), tilapia is very low in mercury. Consumption of fishes high in mercury can be very harmful to your health. As a result of the low mercury content of Tilapia fish, it is safer for young children and pregnant women to eat.
Tilapia is a freshwater fish that can be found in most grocery stores and fish markets. In addition, they are very versatile and can be baked, steamed, fried, and poached to make a delicious meal.
I most often fry them to make tacos or fish sandwiches. They pair very well with my Jamaican Escovitch Spicy Pickled Vegetables.
I hope you enjoy this delicious steamed curried tilapia recipe.
Easy Herb Infused Steamed Curried Tilapia in Pouch.
Steamed Curried Tilapia with Vegetables In A Pouch.
- Cast Iron or Aluminium Tray
- Foil Paper
- 12 oz Tilapia Fillet 2 pieces
- 2 Medium Vine Tomatoes
- 2 Medium Carrots, Roughly Cut
- 1/4 cup Red Bell Peppers, Roughly Diced
- 2 cups Broccoli
- 1/4 cup Yellow Bell Peppers, Roughly Diced
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onions, Roughly Cut
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, Chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, Sliced
- 2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Sazon Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Scallion
- Turn on oven to 400 ºF
- Roughly cut vegetables into single bitesize pieces: broccoli, onion, bell peppers, carrots. Slice garlic, chop cilantro and escallion.
- Season Tilapia Fillets on both sides with salt, pepper, curry powder, sazone, and rosemary and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Assemble 2 sheets of aluminum foil paper around 20 inches in length to form a cross.
- Layer the roughly cut vegetables onto foil paper to form a bed for the tilapia fish.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper (optional)
- Lay seasoned tilapia onto bed of vegetables.
- Add 2 slices of lemon and chopped cilantro on each fillets. Dab pieces of butter onto each pieces of fish fillet.
- Bring the edges of foil paper together and make thin folds to form a airtight seal. On the other 2 ends, fold 2 or 3 times inward to seal the sides of the pouch.
- Place pouches onto the tray and bake in the oven for 15 -20 minutes.
Tilapia In A Pouch
Quick, easy, and economically keto-friendly meal for you and the family. In addition, It’s also a great meal idea for pesco-vegetarians and those who want a healthy protein-packed meal.
Steamed Curried Tilapia in Pouch.
Curry and Tilapia fish is not very common food marriage. But It is one of my household’s favorite ways to prepare tilapia. Curry adds so much depth of flavor to this fish dish.
Herb Infused pouch Tilapia.
Tilapia is a very delicate fish. Seasoning tilapia with just the right amount and type of herbs can perfume and flavor your fish dish in ways you can’t imagine.
The pouch steaming method seals in all the juices and each ingredient is bathed and cooked in its own natural juices.