Tostones, Pressed Green Plantains or Fried Green Plantains, whatever you call them, you cannot deny the fact that these crispy treats are delicious.
Tostones are very popular in Latin America and in the Caribbean cuisines. In comparison to bananas, green plantains are very starchy and are most often served as a side dish.
Green plantains are very cheap. In NYC you can easily purchase 4 green plantains for $1.
Because they are so economically versatile, they are able to feed more mouths and create very interesting dishes.
Despite the fact that they are very starchy, they contain a number of vitamins and minerals.
Nutrition Content of Fried Green Plantains
100 g or 4 oz Tostones or fried green plantains provide you with approximately:
504 calories 4 g Protein
67 g Carbohydrate 11 g Fiber
575 mg Potassium 25 mg Calcium
25 g Fat Source: USDA
Stuffed Plantains with Ground Turkey In Tomato Sauce
Here are all the ingredients You Will Need.
Click on each ingredient for easy shopping experience.
Stuffed Tostones Fried-Baked Green Plantain Cups with Ground Turkey In Tomato Sauce.
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Frying Pan
- Metal Spoon
- Muffin Tin
- Tostonera Plantain Press
- Mini Muffin Pan
Turkey InTomato Sauce
- 1 lb Gound Turkey 93% lean
- 2 cups Celery, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Canola Olive Oil Blend
- ⅓ cup Tomato Ketchup
- 8 oz. Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup Onion, diced
- 1 tsp Chopped Habanero
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp. Complete Seasoning
- 2 tsp. Dried Rosemary
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 3 Green Plantains
- 2 tsp Salt optional
- 1 cup Canola Olive Oil blend for frying
Ground Turkey In Tomato Sauce
- Season the ground turkey with rosemary, salt, pepper, all-purpose seasoning, celery, habanero, and onion. This can be done the day before and store in the refrigerator.
- Over medium flame, heat the cooking oil In the cast-iron skillet for 1 minute.
- Carefully add your seasoned turkey mixture to hot oil. Use the edge of the spoon to break apart the ground turkey while stirring occasionally to prevent clumping and burning; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add your tomato sauce and tomato ketchup. mix together until ingredients are evenly distributed. Allow cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off flame and set aside.
- Wash green plantains. Cut off the ends of each plantains and make an insertion along the skin from one end to the other.
- Remove the skin and cut starchy plantian into 1 inch pieces.
- Turn on oven to 350 °F.
- Heat oil in the frying pan for 2-3 minutes. Fry each 1-inch plantain pieces for 2 minutes on each rounded side.
- Use the tong to transfer the partially cooked plantain pieces onto the tostonera plantain press; press to flatten each pieces.
- Use remaining oil from frying and brush into the cavities of the mini muffin pan. Sprinkle salt onto greased muffin pans. This will form a crispy cup, add flavor, and allow easier removal from pan.
- Place the pressed tostones and add to muffin pan cavity to form a cup. The cups does not have to be perfectly formed. The idea is to have a cup-like cavity to house the ground turkey.
- Fill the baking pan with plantain. Place them in the oven and bake for 8 -10 minutes.
- Remove baked tostones cups from oven and filled each cup with the ground turkey in tomato sauce and serve.
Tostones Cups Stuffed With Turkey
These tostones cups stuffed with the succulent protein-packed grounded turkey are great finger food that can be served as an appetizer and a party idea.
Ground Turkey In Tomato Sauce
Grounded meats are one of my all-time favorites food for preparing a meal.
They complement a busy lifestyle because they require very little pre-prep, they cook very fast, and can be served with any starchy side dish.
I think the longer grounded meats, as well as my most sought after Chicken Lentil Soup, are stored in the refrigerator, the more flavor they develop.
Pressed Green Plantains
Click HERE and let me take you a journey to Cubana Cafe Restaurant in Brooklyn NYC. You will learn about Cuban cuisine and the history of Spanish foods.
6 thoughts on “Stuffed Tostones Fried-Baked Green Plantain Cups with Ground Turkey”
OMG what a lovely idea! I am surely trying this
I love plantains! This looks so delicious and the recipe seems very easy. Can this work with mushroom?
You can stuff the plantains cups with your favorite food item- eggs, beef, meat alternatives. Maybe mushrooms with cheese can work?
looks soo delicious! will definitely try this one! thank you for this!
I love how detailed you are with your recipes! I love thissssssss
I’ve never seen or eaten anything like this before but wow do I want to try these asap! You always shared the most amazing food which has my mouth watering. I’m loving the sound of these and will for sure be making them myself. Thank you so much for sharing with us! Xo
Elle – ellegracedeveson.com