I can’t wait for you to try my Taco Lasagna with Cheesy Spicy Sausage and Cabbage recipe. It has layers of flavors that you may have not tried before.
This comforting casserole is made of layers of soft tortillas, seasoned spicy Italian sausage, and shredded cabbage cooked in a herb-infused tomato sauce, is a creative way to add a Mexican twist to a traditional lasagna recipe.
Tacos are a popular staple in my household. Some of my favorite soft tortilla meals are breakfast tacos, salad taco bowls, airfryer or grilled burritos.
My Taco Lasagna is the new addition to the taco recipe collection that can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Furthermore, Thanksgiving is approaching, and adding this creative taco dish to the menu will be a show stopper.
Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links. When you buy through any of these links, we will receive a commission. This is at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Food Explora and allowing the blog site to continue to bring you valuable content.
If you do not own a Gourmia Air Fryer, here are my links for your shopping convenience.
Taco Lasagna With Cheesy Spicy Sausage and Cabbage Recipe.
Your kitchen will need one of these kitchen cookwares and utensil. Click on each for more detailed information and your shopping convenience.
One-Pot Sweet & Sour Shrimp With Cassava
Cheesy Spicy Sausage and Cabbage Taco Lasagna.
- Large Aluminum Pot
- 12 x 5 Pyrex Dish
- Cutting Board
- Wooden Spoon
- 10 soft Tortillas
- 2 medium Organic Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 8 oz Mexican Four Cheese Blend
- 3 medium Jalapeno Peppers, diced
- 2 cups Pizza Sauce
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1½ tsp. Dried Thyme
Mild Italian Sausage & Cabbage
- 1 small head Organic Green Cabbage, shredded
- 16 oz. Mild Italian Ground Sausage
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Complete Season
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Salt
Let's Prepare The Sausage And Cabbage
- Cut the tomatoes and Jalapeno peppers into small to medium dice-size pieces and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully shred the cabbage to a thickness of about ¼ inch, then place it in a bowl.
- Because the hot Italian sausage was out of stock on Amazon Fresh, I ordered the mild Italian ground sausage for this recipe. If you like hot and spicy as I do, go for the hot version. However, there is an original ground Italian sausage sold on Amazon Fresh that is not spicy.Season the sausage with complete seasoning, salt, and black pepper to taste. I seasoned and refrigerated it overnight, but you can cook it immediately
- Heat the olive oil in a large aluminum pot over medium heat for 1 minute. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Dump the Italian ground sausage into the onion mixture and mix well together. As the sausage cooks, use the blade or edge of a wooden spoon to break them into smaller pieces. Cook for 2-3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- To the sausage mixture, add the diced tomato and jalapenos. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes after mixing everything together.
- Add the shredded cabbage and dried thyme to the sausage and tomato mixture. Cook the cabbage until it becomes soft and translucent. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon to prevent burning.Pour the pizza sauce onto the cabbage and sausage mixture. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Layer the Taco Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F.
- Use olive oil spray to coat the inside of a 9 x 13 pyrex dish. This recipe calls for 10 soft 8-inch tortillas. Each tortilla should be cut in half. Lay the tortilla across the bottom of the pyrex dish, ensuring that the flat side is against the inner sides of the pyrex dish to evenly cover the entire base of the dish.
- Cover the top of the tortilla base with about 2 cups of the cabbage and sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle ¼ to ½ cup of the Mexican four-cheese blend evenly on top of the cabbage mixture. Repeat the process with another layer of tortilla and sausage mixture. The Pyrex dish can holds 5 layers.
- Add the final layer of cabbage sausage and top with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the layers of cheese melt and all ingredients are married together.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes before portioning. This taco lasagna will serve 6 to 8 people.
You will also love this Jerk Chicken Mac and cheese recipe. Click HERE for the recipe.
Join Food Explora on Instagram. My handle name is JamaicanISH Foodie. I showcase food and travel-related posts. Let’s be Instafrenz!
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram